Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Homemade Ketchup



Making your own ketchup is so easy!  One main reason I like to make it from scratch is because I control what goes into it.  Have you ever checked the label on your favorite brand of ketchup?? It is pretty frightening!  Store bought ketchup contains tons of high fructose corn syrup!  Organic ketchup is a much better alternative, but I did not want to continue paying the high price for such a small bottle.

So I had some fun in the kitchen!  I played around with a few different recipes and tweaked some of my own special ingredients until it was PERFECT!  My secret to the perfect amount of sweetness?- HONEY :).. this helps to cut down on the sugar.

Ingredients: (Servings: 22)

  • 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup honey (or agave)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat; whisk until smooth.
  • When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
  • Remove from heat and cover until cool.  Chill and store in refrigerator in a covered container.

VOILA! ..simple..easy..& HEALTHY!


Soph




No comments:

Post a Comment